This pipe under my kitchen sink has a big crack in the area circled in yellow. (It's on the back side so it isn't visible in the photo.) Can I simply unscrew the nut at the top that I circled in red to replace the pipe? I'm afraid to just go ahead and try in the fear that I will put my kitchen sink out of commission. I'm already ok with disconnecting the hand-tightened nut at the bottom.

my broken pipe


Success! I replaced the tailpiece with no problem. Thanks to all for the help.

  • Where is your siphon?
    – Mast
    Commented Mar 2, 2020 at 9:39
  • 1
    @Mast It's below the T connection. Look to the bottom right of the image and you'll see where the trap connects to the horizontal drain. This is normal on a double basin sink like you'll find in a kitchen.
    – Logarr
    Commented Mar 2, 2020 at 16:09

1 Answer 1


Yes - that's a "tailpiece" - the new one may be too long, if so, they are made that way so you can cut them to fit - but there's also considerable space to slide them built into the connections, so don't overdo cutting them down.

  • 2
    Wrap the cracked tailpiece with some electrical tape until you have time to fix it. It'll save you from having to empty the bucket +
    – JACK
    Commented Mar 2, 2020 at 0:30
  • 1
    Parafilm® is nice for that if you happen to have any (former lab rat.)
    – Ecnerwal
    Commented Mar 2, 2020 at 0:35
  • 1
    Since the drain is non-pressurized, the tape would be more than sufficient to redirect the water to the outflow. Just don't leave that as permanent solution because it'll eventually fail and the crack will also slowly get worse anyways.
    – Nelson
    Commented Mar 2, 2020 at 2:44
  • 12
    @Jennifer that might be why they're comments and not answers.
    – Jamie M
    Commented Mar 2, 2020 at 16:03
  • 1
    @David42 There are "stops" in the tee to prevent that from happening.
    – JACK
    Commented Mar 2, 2020 at 20:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.