The water supply line is stuck and the nut is removed. It turns with some force but won't detach from the bottom of the tank

enter image description here

  • 3
    A photo would be very helpful.
    – jwh20
    Feb 19, 2020 at 17:48
  • Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. Unfortunately, we'll need more info before we have any chance of helping you. Please take our tour so you'll know how best to participate here. Feb 19, 2020 at 18:25
  • It is a straight pipe and I have loosed the nut to the valve and the top of the water line. I've tried moving it back and forth but it won't budge. it only turns with some force.
    – Brian
    Feb 19, 2020 at 23:26

1 Answer 1


That supply line should be disconnected at the shutoff valve as well and should then be fairly easy to bend and remove. The plastic nut at the base of the tank can then be removed to change out the fill valve.
You'll want to replace that supply line with a flexible line just a little longer than the distance from the shutoff valve to the base of the tank. If your shutoff valve is old and squirrely you might want to replace that as well with a ball and valve 1/4 turn.
Usually there's enough play up and down to remove the fixed supply line but some I've had to bend a little to remove. You'll probably want to replace it anyway.

  • The nut on the valve is disconnected but the line only rotates. Are you saying I should try to bend the line?
    – Brian
    Feb 20, 2020 at 0:03
  • @Brian - you need to pull it out of the valve first. Loosen the nut all the way and slide it up a little. Push the valve down gently and pull up on the line (no bending required; especially if you're replacing with hard-line). Once free of the valve it should fall right out after a little tug. To replace with hard-line: do it in reverse order.
    – Mazura
    Feb 20, 2020 at 0:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.