This is picture of my under the sink shuttoff valve for sink supply line. I need to replace valve. I have few questions.

1) what kind of valve should I choose ? Sweat joint,compression or push to connect.

2) I will need to cut stem pipe first to remove oldvlave, that is going to reduce the length of it. I wonder what happens when I (or someone else) need to replace valve again after 30 years , after cutting valve, pipe won't be long enough for new valve. Any way to extend pipe today so that I will have enough pipe length to replace valve next time ? You may say I should leave it to whoever is going to deal with that problem in future and not worry about that today, but I am just asking out of curiosity, Is there a better way ? enter image description here


That's a sweat-on valve, you should be able to remove it by heating with a torch until the solder is melted and then pull it off with a twisting motion with a pair a pliers.

Clean up the end of the pipe with some steel wool and/or sandpaper and re-sweat a new one in its place. I would use a ball valve here instead of this style but either will do the job.

Should be no need to cut anything.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.