What type of cable is this? I found it in the wall without any junction box just taped off at the end with electrical tape.


enter image description here

  • look at the printing on the cable ... probably cat5 cable ... probably for ethernet or for telephone
    – jsotola
    Feb 9, 2020 at 4:17
  • Can you provide us with a close-up of the printing on the cable jacket, or post the text for that matter? Feb 9, 2020 at 4:53

1 Answer 1


It's a data cable.

Probably CAT5 or CAT5E grade. (it will be written on the blue jacket every metre.)

These cables are used for ethernet (between computers and routers) and for connecting telephones, and home automation equipment, intercoms, thermostats etc. I'm guessing there used to be a phone jack there.

  • 1
    4 wires out of 8? Phone, +1
    – Mazura
    Feb 9, 2020 at 6:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.