Even though I’m trying to build more stuff on my own, I’m DIY-challenged.

So today I saw these 2x4 chair ends.

enter image description here

Picture Source

I liked the overall idea, but I didn’t like the material these chair ends were made from. They’re made from resin and they looked cheap.

I guess my question is: what are these called and does this exist in another material besides plastic?

  • you could paint them, then they would look a lot better. i've seen metal ones too, but not as a kit w/o wood.
    – dandavis
    Feb 2, 2020 at 3:19
  • 1
    that is not a chair ... google park bench ends
    – jsotola
    Feb 2, 2020 at 3:27
  • Isn't the answer right in the Amazon listing? "Bench ends" yields a huge number of search results.
    – isherwood
    Feb 2, 2020 at 3:49
  • Contrarian voice: I've had bench thingies like that for a few years, and they're perfectly durable. Aesthetics is up to you, of course. Feb 2, 2020 at 16:44
  • You might as well paint them, otherwise UV light will eat them after a few years. Feb 3, 2020 at 7:47

2 Answers 2


What you have there is the modern soulless crappy plastic injection molded version and the old classy cast iron bench ends.

Do a search for cast iron bench ends and you will find a world of benches and bench ends from basic to elaborate and ornate.

Go out a find a pair Paint them black and ad some oak slats, your DIY street cred will go up considerably.

search result image page

  • Oak slats - yes. Anything furniture made with pine 2 x 4s will look like a 12 year old made it.
    – Mattman944
    Feb 2, 2020 at 8:20

Park bench is what we call them , I have one made of cast iron, I have seen them made out of tube steel and concrete also. As many plastic chairs as I have seen broken I would want the cast iron or tube steel , the concrete ones were super heavy.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.