I have a outlet box with 12/2 wiring ungrounded. Can I legally just run a separate grounding wire to the nearest circuit box that is grounded?

  • Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. If an answer is helpful, please click the large check mark next to it to accept. And, please take our tour so you'll know how best to participate here. Feb 2, 2020 at 0:26

1 Answer 1


You can if both are supplied from the same panel. This was not legal in the past but current code allows it.

  • I think they made it legal because everyone was doing it. +
    – JACK
    Feb 1, 2020 at 23:33
  • I don’t know I had never done it or seen it done but had heard of it. I do think it makes sense as it in a perfect world it will never have current on it.
    – Ed Beal
    Feb 1, 2020 at 23:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.