I purchased a 12,500 watt portable generator, a 50 amp inlet box and the corresponding 50 amp plug to power a friend's residence. I also purchased a 10’ long 50 amp range cord to connect the generator to the house via the inlet box. The cord was labeled for 50 amp service with #6/4 wiring. When I received the cord it came as a 50 amp service with #6/2 & #8/2 wiring.

My question is:
Is it acceptable to use this cord, with the reduced size neutral wire, to connect the generator to the inlet box? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you

  • What are the loads being powered? , cords have different capacity see table 400.5.a.1.
    – Ed Beal
    Jan 22, 2020 at 22:14
  • Just a note on using Table 400.5(A)(1), the text of section 400.5 says a neutral that carries only the imbalance load doesn't count as a current carrying conductor, so column B applies. Jan 22, 2020 at 23:43
  • Yeah, because range cord neutrals only need to power the oven light. Just in case you have a 4800 watt oven light. Jan 23, 2020 at 1:18
  • 1
    Is there a reason you're trying to use a range cord (SRD) for this application? It's not rated for outdoor usage, for one, and most generators use a locking plug for their 50A connections, for two, which your range cord won't fit into.... Jan 23, 2020 at 1:25

1 Answer 1


Take that range cord back and get the correct cord for the job

50A generator inlet boxes, as well as many generators with 50A outputs, do not use anything resembling the NEMA 14-50 that is certainly on the end of your range cord. Instead, they use locking type connectors; unfortunately, there is no such thing as a NEMA L14-50, so California had to step in and set their own standard for this, the CS6365C/CS6375 family. Furthermore, the type SRD cordage that is used for range cords is not rated for wet locations or hard/extra-hard usage, making it utterly unsuitable for use outdoors, even if your generator uses a NEMA 14-50R for its 50A receptacle.

As a result, you're better off taking all your stuff back and getting the proper generator cord for your generator. This will have a CS6364C cord-connector on it to mate with what is almost certainly a CS6375 inlet on the generator inlet box, and be made from extra-hard usage, wet-rated cordage such as type SOOW, with a 6/4 wire configuration, and either a NEMA 14-50P or a CS6365C plug on the other end, depending on what your generator uses.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.