1

I'm gonna get the material tested - already bought the kit. But I'm wonder what people think - I thought it might be old mineral wool since I've seen stuff that looks similar to it. I'd read that vermiculite is hard like pellets, and this stuff is soft like wool, so I don't think it's that.

Thoughts? It's from my attic - old house, built in the late 1860s. There's tons of it up there. It's old and moldy - we had a raccoon living up there for a bit after it ripped through the soffit - was quite a deal to clean up after(I wore a P100 respirator). Insulation

Insulation 2

Insulation 3

  • Asbestos can't be detected by sight unless you see a specific product brand name that has been known to have contained asbestos. The test is the only reliable method. – jwh20 Jan 17 at 10:24
  • @Kris .... huh? – Daniel Griscom Jan 17 at 15:45
  • @DanielGriscom lol wrong link – Kris Jan 17 at 15:45
  • I understand that it can't be detected by sight, but some people who work with insulation for a living have an eye for spotting insulation that is likely to have it. – Adamaxis Jan 17 at 15:49
  • Don’t rule out loose fill fiberglass. Good call on the testing – Brian G Jan 17 at 23:26
4

I doubt that it is asbestos but I would have it tested to be sure. It looks like the pouring wool that my father-in-law used in his attic back in the 1960's

| improve this answer | |
0

Just thought I'd give ya'll a heads-up since this might be used as a resource for someone. I had it tested.

Turns out, it didn't have any asbestos in it - 90% mineral wool, 5% fiberglass, 5% binding agent.

Thanks to all who commented.

| improve this answer | |
-1

Asbestos is a bad guy for sure, but note that the only people who get in trouble for it are those who had occupational exposure and wore no protection, AND were smokers. If this was my house, I'd either leave it alone, or cover it with sheet rock or plywood and forget it. If it's gotta go, test it or look at it under a microscope. If it is asbestos, in my area, I'd get a respiration filter, goggles, and rip it out. Asbestos is a mineral that is quite inert. It causes health issues because it is shaped in a spindle, sharp on both ends and is thus inflammatory. A healthy person's immune system will simply form a collagen sheath around it and isolate it from causing any health issues. And if there is no respiratory exposure, there really is minimal health risk from a single project in a non-smoker.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.