We have deep dents (5mm at deepest) in our hardwood floor caused by strong blows with a baseball bat (crackhead subtenant, psychotic episode). Those dents are bigger than the dents that I've seen fixed by the water + iron method, and there is some breakage in the wood fibres. It seems the floor has a lacquer or shellack finish, not oiled.

What options are there for us to fix the floor, save completely replacing it? Not sure if sanding down everything is a viable option in this case.
Cost-efficient repair methods would be preferred, since we're not the home owners and have already pumped thousands into fixing the other damages, with no chance of reclaiming the damages.

closeup photo of two dents in a hardwood floor closeup photo of two dents in a hardwood floor closeup photo of two dents in a hardwood floor

  • 1
    You should replace the entire plank if you want to achieve seamlessness. See youtu.be/zOHt5erZlhQ and/or youtu.be/Ejz3B7ik07Q
    – MonkeyZeus
    Jan 3, 2020 at 16:38
  • @MonkeyZeus thank you for the video, this seems doable! Problem in this case is that the planks itself are 5 meters in length, and there are multiple ones damaged, it'd probably still result in having to replace the whole floor.
    – René Roth
    Jan 3, 2020 at 16:42
  • 2
    I see, you can just replace a small section of the plank. Not to be judgemental but if your previous tenant was a crackhead then I doubt your next tenant will expect perfect flooring.
    – MonkeyZeus
    Jan 3, 2020 at 16:44
  • 1
    This video could be more appropriate. youtu.be/DPGxCageub8
    – MonkeyZeus
    Jan 3, 2020 at 16:45
  • 1
    Does the entire floor look like the surface of a golf ball? If so then replacing the entire floor or covering it with a new floor (such as thin laminate) could be a better choice. Just patch the dents with wood putty before hand so that the new flooring doesn't crack due to inadequate support underneath. Please provide a zoomed out picture of the floor.
    – MonkeyZeus
    Jan 3, 2020 at 16:49


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.