My water heater stopped working a few days ago and I've been trouble shooting it ever since.
I found water in the connection receptacle. the leak from the the Air Conditioning unit above it has been addressed and fixed. I disconnected the power, dried the receptacle, cleaned everything up, trimmed the wires, and made new connections to the water heater.
I purchased an electrical meter and after checking the wires connecting to the water heater, I'm only getting 106 - 107 volts.
I thought it was supposed to get 240v...is that not correct?
If so, what could be the culprit here?
I got the original readings from the wires coming into the water heater from the wall. I'm including a photograph of this (this time it was reading 110v).
I'm not sure what a "double pole" breaker is, so I'm attaching a photo of my breaker panel
This is the beaker for the water heater
Not sure if this helps, but when I connect the wires from the wall to the water heater and I check with the meter, I get a reading of "~ooo" [I've wired the same way as before...I marked with tape which was connected to the black wire with tape since both wires from the wall are RED]
Update 5 (Jan. 4th):
I tested the power at the breaker panel (photo attached).
I tested the top half by touching the BLACK Test Lead from the meter to the screw and the RED Test Lead to the ground wire. Meter read 124V
I tested the top half by touching the RED Test Lead from the meter to the screw and the BLACK Test Lead to the ground wire. Meter read 124
I tested the bottom half by touching the BLACK Test Lead from the meter to the screw and the RED Test Lead to the ground wire. Meter read 124V
I tested the bottom half by touching the RED Test Lead from the meter to the screw and the BLACK Test Lead to the ground wire. Meter read 124
I then tested the top half and the bottom half together (touching the RED Test Lead to the top and the BLACK Test Lead to the bottom) and the meter read 000. - I reversed the Test Leads (just in case) and also got 000.
I promptly replaced the cover to the breaker panel and escaped unscathed from this
UPDATE 6 (Jan. 6th):
Not sure what is going on, but the water heater is working again. I didn't do anything to it after the last test that I did on the breaker panel.
I guess my home realized I was fully committed to tearing it apart to solve this problem and decided to get it together to avoid further damage. 😂
Not sure what to do, if there's anything to do. I'm just glad I have hot water again.
Thank you to all who contributed and guided me through this interesting challenge.