I am currently building a detached, single car garage and getting ready to sheath the roof. I had originally specified a ridge vent but am strongly considering switching to a gable vent. I have some reasons for making this choice which I'm not looking to discuss here.
My question is, if I install gable vents, will I need to modify my end trusses? These are the end truss plans:
Left as-is, the gable vent would be partially blocked by web ST2, which is untreated lumber. I'm not concerned about the limit to airflow, rather the fact that this web would be partially exposed to the elements.
If I do modify the truss, I assume this would be similar to window framing?
- Twin 2x6 header
- Twin 2x4 bottom plate/sill
- King and jack studs left and right
- Cripple studs centered above and below
Some details of the project:
- 12' by 20' detached, single story, single car garage
- I am not insulating at this time but plan to later on
- I'm in Wisconsin, USA -- hot humid summers, cold wet winters
- Trusses are factory made
- Gable ends will have a 1' overhang