I am running new cable from my second floor to my first using wall jacks. I'm not getting a connection through them and I don't have a tester on me. The cables going into the upstairs from the modem are cat6. In the wall is cat6. And the data jacks are cat6 but the ethernet coming out of the wall downstairs in cat5e. Would that make it not work?

  • how did you wire the plugs at the two ends of the in-wall cable?
    – jsotola
    Dec 23, 2019 at 7:41

1 Answer 1


For typical use up to 1 Gig., CAT 5e or CAT 6 will work fine, and they can be mixed together without any problem.

Use the right tools for the job!

Get a Tester

It is incredibly easy to miss a wire or get two wires swapped. It happens to the best of us. A tester is worth every penny. When I started with Ethernet twisted pair networks many years ago, my first tester cost a few hundred $ and was worth every penny. The good news is that now they have gotten dirt cheap, so that they can make sense even for occasional use. I currently have a Klein tester: enter image description here and I've also got some cheap almost throwaway testers like this: enter image description here Almost any of them will do a reasonable job of telling you if things are wired correctly or not (and if not, what wires are wrong). The more expensive models can catch other types of errors, mains voltage on the line (ouch!), and more.

And while we're at it, if you don't already have one, get a

Punch Tool:

enter image description here

As with the tester, if you get a better quality tool it will last longer and might be a little easier to use. But for once-in-a-while usage, a cheap one will do just fine and will be a lot easier and a lot more reliable than trying to get wires onto a jack using a screwdriver or some other not-designed-for-the-job tool.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.