I am currently working on a kitchen remodel. When I opened up the wall, I discovered that most of the studs were uneven. The previous cabinets had been affixed to a 1x that ran the whole length of the wall, and it was shimmed to account for bow, then plastered over. The real concern was when I got to the part of the wall in the kitchen where there was a closet behind the wall. The studs on the closet are turned so the face is showing. It’s about .5” off from the rest of the wall. My question is, should I knock out the plaster and turn the studs, or can I just shim it out and drywall over it. My biggest concern is that the movement in the wall will result in lots of cracking.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.