I am planning on converting my portable-generator/lawn-mower/snow-blower from gas to propane. This was my analysis; could you please comment on the facts, analysis & conclusion? Am I on the right track?
Question: Are my facts correct?
Gas: BTU/gallon: 114,000 $/gallon: $3.25 Weight: 6 pounds/gallon
Propane: BTU/gallon: 91,502 $/gallon: $2.93 Weight: 4.2 pounds/gallon
Question: Is my analysis correct?
- Gas is more cost effective (35K BTUs/$ for gas vs.31K BTUs/$ for Propane)
- Propane is eco-friendly (societal factor)
- Propane does not destroy the engine (maintenance cost)
- Propane can be stored for a longer time without deterioration (cost of waste)
- Propane is lighter to transport
Is my conclusion correct?
Gas is 12% cost effective; however, propane compensates for lower energy/$ due to other practical factors; hence gas-to-propane conversion is worthwhile.