I'm going to sweat a 1/2" piece of copper with a Male Adapter Fitting to thread into the drop-ear for my tub spout.

I purchased this: 1/2 in. Copper Pressure Cup x MIP Male Adapter Fitting

Later online I found this: 1/2 in. Copper FTG x MIP Fitting Adapter Fitting

Both seem to appear to do the same thing, yet the latter is 4 times the price of the other with what appears to be just a little more copper.

What's the difference between the 2? Is one better for my application?


The cup fitting slides onto the end of a pipe. The FTG fitting is the same size as pipe and fits directly into some other fitting: an elbow, a coupling, a tee, etc. It probably costs more only because they're infrequently used. The cup fitting is the right one for your application.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.