Recently had this room plastered, then painted, and stupidly I only took the front off of the sockets instead of removing the full front socket.

This has caused a bit of an issue as the facings now don’t fit right on to the socket, I’ve accepted I’m going to have to deal with that for now.

What I do need fixed is the holes I can see behind a switch & one of the sockets. What is the best course of action here?enter image description hereenter image description here

  • 2
    Does this answer your question? How do I fill holes around a light switch?
    – isherwood
    Dec 9, 2019 at 21:27
  • 1
    For someone in the UK... Are "plus sized" outlet covers common/available? In the US we have a few sizes - Standard, Midway, and Jumbo to take care of these little gaps.
    – JPhi1618
    Dec 9, 2019 at 22:00

2 Answers 2


The best approach is to fix the plaster and paint. Some other ideas:

  • Install oversize device plates. Since you have nice stainless-steel plates now, this will be more expensive, but it would be quick and easy.
  • You may be able to find or make backing plates that fit around the devices, behind the existing plates, and extend outward a small distance.
  • As a last resort, fill with spackle or painter's caulk, then touch up the paint.
  • Smooth uneven border areas
  • Mix new plaster or already mixed material
  • Apply the mix on the damaged area
  • When it dries apply a thin layer of mud compound
  • Sand, prime and paint

Hope this helps

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.