The home we recently purchased, built in 1974, has a Martin BWH-36A Octa-Therm fabricated fireplace.
A chimney sweep informed us that this fireplace is no longer manufactured, but our chimney is in good shape. However, its blower fans ("circulating air inlets" in the image below) weren't working.
We called in an electrician and got the fans working. However, upon opening the blower grates, the electrician found that the ductwork openings were stuffed with insulation.
We cleared out the insulation around the blower fans. Then, on a hunch, we checked the upper and outside air inlets and outlets: they're all stuffed with insulation as well.
I found a copy of the manual, linked above, at the National Chimney Sweep Guild (NCSG) Manual Library's 'M' page.
Here's an image from the 1st page. We've checked the 6 openings shown in the image:
Who would we call now to check and test that all the ductwork is in good shape, clear, and safely usable???
EDIT: I'm not asking for a service recommendation; rather I'm asking for what kind of professional would check the ducting.
I would've thought a chimney sweep would do that, but he didn't seem interested. The electrician clearly wouldn't do ducting. Should I try a different chimney sweep? Or, do I call an HVAC professional? Or, ...???
UPDATE: Contacted our fire department, as suggested. They didn't have any information on contractors. Per their experience, though, they stated that, since stuffed with insulation, the fireplace probably has hidden issues. We should not use it till we find a builder or other specialist to literally pull the firebox, et al, out and inspect it. Ugh.