The apartment I moved into has a kitchen with cabinets as most kitchens do. I noticed that in the mornings it has been especially cold in the kitchen, and I traced the cold air to a large gap in the corner of one of the cabinets.

The photo below was taken inside the corner cabinet. You can see a pipe exposed. A lot of cold air is seeping in through here.


What simple things can I do (without involving the slow-moving elderly landlord) to patch this up and minimize the amount of cold air that gets in?

  • Install literally anything that's airtight. I doubt that'll solve your actual problem, though, which is apparently poor insulation and weather-proofing in the building itself, plus a negative air pressure condition. That air will find another way in.
    – isherwood
    Dec 6, 2019 at 18:57

2 Answers 2


Perhaps using some ridgid foam insulation board, you could build a chase inside the cabinet. If you take your time and cut it carefully using a straightedge, it should fit neatly in place by tension without having to use any caulk or adhesive that the property owner may frown on later. I would build it in an "L" shape and it shouldn't take up much of your usable storage space. Hope that helps, good luck![enter image description here]1

  • Thanks! This is what I'll do. Btw, did you use some tool to create this quick mockup or is it just a generic image from online? Dec 8, 2019 at 19:59
  • I used google sketchup, It is quick and easy. Dec 10, 2019 at 13:46
  • You said it should be able to stay in place using "tension". What do you mean by that exactly? Jan 10, 2020 at 14:32

It looks like they had to cut it out to go around the pipe. To seal this up I would get a can of spray foam and fill the gap, the foam will seal the gap and act as insulation.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.