I am looking to attach an unthreaded galvanized steel pipe to either copper or a new unthreaded pipe. See my previous post for details: Should this section of water line be replaced?

Per https://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/mechanical-trades/ask-the-plumbing-experts/38067-connect-to-galvanized-pipe-without-threads I have found this coupling:

enter image description here


However, I cannot find any other pictures nor instructions for installing it.

Can anyone guide me? I'd rather not spend ~$25 on a coupling which may not work for my application.

Would this product be a better choice for my application?

enter image description here


The product page states:

For connecting piping and repairs of PVC and galvanized pipe

  • That Ridgid forum also linked to a page on this site: philmac.co.uk/products/?pg=3 The link was broken, but maybe those universal couplings could work for you? (just noticed that is a UK site so... maybe not depending on where you are)
    – JPhi1618
    Dec 2, 2019 at 21:16

1 Answer 1


You can call AY McDonald at 800-292-2737, or visit their web site, or reference the instructions for that fitting, or see the pictures below.

But really, the outfit that sold you the fitting has some responsibility to help you in this regard, no? Call Shamrock Supply and make them earn their vig.

enter image description here

enter image description here

  • And NO, that plastic coupler (we always call them "Moody Couplings", don't know why maybe a regional thing...) is not as good of a solve. Dec 3, 2019 at 4:06
  • Thank you so much for this!
    – MonkeyZeus
    Dec 3, 2019 at 11:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.