Not indefinitely, you'll saturate the wood handle, and the ferrule as well; as you paint, mineral spirits (you didn't say paint thinner) will crawl out of the ferrule and dilute and contaminate your paint. The first few square feet using a recently cleaned brush are a mess.
I dry my brushes by hanging from a nail or string. That's why brushes have holes in the handle.
One very useful trick is to hang the brushes so the bottom of the bristles is suspended halfway into a shallow cup of solvent. I.E. the solvent is 1/2" deep and the bottom of the bristles are at the 1/4" level. In this case, you can use a lighter cleaning (you still need some) and the remaining paint will capillary down the bristles and into the solvent. Leave it like that for 12-48 hours, and pull the brush out and hang it to dry. No longer or the solvent will evaporate to below the bristles and you'll have a mess.
If I'm just storing a brush for a few days to resume painting that same stuff later, I splash it with a little diluent (thinner) and wrap it up tightly in 2 grocery bags (1 isn't enough, and lets air in). I throw it in the freezer if it's a 2-part paint, as that keeps it from kicking. I have a sealed storage container to keep paint smells out of food.