I have a dripping mixer tap, and trying to replace the cartridge.

I'm following some google/youtube videos and they say you have to remove a nut then the cartridge will come out.

After removing the tap head and casing there is no nut to remove

It is a brass circular piece with 2 notches, not sure how to remove this, or should it be removed?

enter image description here

enter image description here

2 Answers 2


Like Mike said, you need a special wrench to get that "nut" off your faucet. You will need something like this:

enter image description here

You can get them pretty cheap at home stores or plumbing supply stores. Trace out the nut on paper and bring it with you to the store so you can get a match.

It looks like someone already tried to remove it by tapping a screwdriver placed in one of the slots. This can work sometimes if the nut is not too tight but you always have to be careful not to damage the threads because some sleeves screw down on them. Good luck.

  • has this type of wrench got a name? wondering what to google
    – raklos
    Nov 25, 2019 at 15:41
  • Basically they're just called plumbing wrenches. Each company can have different ones for their products and will have different names.
    – JACK
    Nov 25, 2019 at 17:07
  • Take a photo with a tape measure in the photo. Then take that to a local plumbing store I have a set with 4 or 5 sizes that fit inside each other I think that set only cost about 15$ . + definitely be careful if you don’t use something like this or make a spanner you may damage the fixture (using a punch and hammer as already noted) I have seen expensive fixtures ruined because equal force was not applied and cracked the fixture.
    – Ed Beal
    Nov 26, 2019 at 22:26

Buy or make a spanner that will fit into those two slots then undo the brass piece - either it will clear the plastic or the plastic parts will come out with it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.