I recently replaced the carpet in my attic with a floating mdf backed engineered hardwood floor. the attic has a circular opening in the floor for a spiral staircase.

enter image description here

The face of the opening is 3/8" plywood. My question is: How do I trim the curved edge between the floor and the opening face?

enter image description here

I haven't been able to find a product designed for this purpose at the local hardware store or in a Google search. Something made of wood would be ideal, but that seems impractical. Probably something made of a flexible material would be an easier option. If anyone has any ideas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance

  • 3
    Your search didn't come up with product lines like this? A combination of their stair nosing and T-molding would probably do well. Unfortunately you'd normally work out transitions before laying the floor to allow the proper clearance. You might need to cut in place.
    – isherwood
    Nov 22, 2019 at 19:34

1 Answer 1


I would make a polygon (24 - 1/2x2 cut at 82.5 degrees + wood glue + a lap joint for strength) that can then be cut into a circle and maybe routed with a detail. You would see the grain changes in direction, but that wouldn't be a deal breaker to me. It would be a bit time consuming with all the cuts and glue up.

I've also seen videos of people using PVC trim and a clothes iron to bend long thin strips and it seems to work very well, but I've never tried it.

  • You may get the vertcal piece to bend just fine, and can probably even use a single strip of thin wood, but the horizonal section of trim wouldn't bend unless it's very thin. This cut out method is what I was thinking.
    – JPhi1618
    Nov 22, 2019 at 19:25
  • it're fairly easy to convert a plunge router into a compass (flip the edge guide upside down and screw it to an arm)
    – Jasen
    Nov 22, 2019 at 20:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.