I'm trying to mount a TV in our Edwardian (1906) building. The living room walls are (starting from the floor) 8" of solid wood molding, 7' of board-and-batten, 1' of plaster-and-lathe, and a box ceiling. From looking behind outlets on other walls the boards appear to be 1" thick pieces of some kind of soft wood (I can dent it with my nail). Given the era and the geography I'm thinking redwood.
I'm not having any luck finding studs or coming up with an alternative:
- The plaster and lathe above the boards gives unreliable readings
- The boards have 3" battens every 10-12 inches (yep, not evenly spaced) making it impossible to run a stud finder for any distance
- The floor moldings are solid wood
- The crown moldings are huge and flush to the plaster
- The wall is an exterior wall and we're on the third floor
- I have no access into the wall without cutting a hole
- I need two studs 16" apart and I'm not convinced the studs are 16" apart (it's a short wall and I suspect at least one is placed irregularly)
- The battens effectively make the wall uneven
- I'm reasonably certain that mounting to the panels is a bad idea
So: does anyone have any good ideas for how to safely attach a 100lb mount to this wall?
I can attach pictures if you tell me what pictures would help.
Update (and decision): I ended up combining a few techniques here.
It turns out that there is a spot above the crown molding where the plaster and lathe can't be seen unless you are standing on a ladder. The painters didn't even bother painting the last 1/4" and there even are small gaps between the plaster and the molding.
I used a stud finder to get a rough idea of where the studs might be. It was kind of right but not really. I took a small bit and drilled some holes to find the studs. I drilled enough holes that I could get tell where the edge of the stud was within a half inch. I then put a hangar in the hole to tap on the stud to make sure it was where I thought it was. I marked that spot. Then, based on this answer, I marked a spot 3/4" into the stud.
If I was better with the hangar I could probably have drilled fewer holes, but the lathe is pretty thick and I was having trouble inserting the bend to spin it.
I'll update this thread if the TV falls off the wall or anything exciting happens when I'm putting in the bolts.