Does anyone make a back box that has (British) standard 1-gang lugs, but the actual box extends beyond that?

i.e. something could be mounted centrally with 1-gang spacing (and it would cover the whole box) but the box would have more space either side of that.

Does anything like that exist? Closes I've found is dual 1-gang boxes, where two sit side by side, that would be OK except that I need the 1-gang spaced mounting to be central, or else the box probably wouldn't be covered one side.

  • 1
    What we yanks do is have a 2-gang box with a 1-gang mud ring, but the mud ring concept relies heavily on our use of drywall for walls, which in turn hangs on our abundant supply of timber. Nov 16, 2019 at 16:57
  • While product-rec questions are off-topic on the Stack due to how quickly markets can change...are you trying to surface-mount or flush-mount this box, and what sort of wall are you mounting it to? Nov 16, 2019 at 17:41
  • @ThreePhaseEel Are they? That tag should probably be removed then. I hoped it was OK because I was more asking if the product I'm describing exists than.. 'what's the best hammer' or whatever. Flush mount, wanted to replace an existing 1-gang back box for more space in the (plasterboard) wall.
    – OJFord
    Nov 18, 2019 at 13:40

1 Answer 1


You can get various conversion patresses which will fit over a flush 1-gang box and present a surface 2-gang box, eg

British General type 910 conversion pattress 20 mm deep

and conversion sockets, eg

socket converter 1 to 2 gang double 13 amp socket

If you want to fit a single socket on a double box you'd probably need to use a Euro module faceplate, Euro module socket and blanking plates

enter image description here

If you just need a decorative cover then 'finger plates' are available in white or clear


  • Thanks, but I was looking for the opposite: 2-gang space in the wall, and mounting points for a 1-gang plate (which has a big enough ... 'flange' to cover the whole thing as long as fairly central).
    – OJFord
    Nov 17, 2019 at 14:21
  • That would be the Euro module option then, or if you can make up the accessory you need using a double Grid switch plate. What are you trying to fit on a double back box that is only available in single format?
    – Owain
    Nov 17, 2019 at 18:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.