I’d like to mount an articulating arm for my 43” TV in my basement, however have metal studs unfortunately. The mount is made for a single stud install. Luckily I have access to the back side of the wall, and could work from there. Could I install a wood stud next to the metal stud and mount that way? Or would a large piece of plywood between the studs behind the drywall be a better approach with some toggle clamps holding it in place? I don’t really want plywood on the outside of the wall if possible. Thanks for the help!


There are two solutions, both of which you've outlined:

1) Brace two studs with 2x4s and mount the tv to that.

This is hit or miss -- stud spacing has to match the bracket spacing, and you need to open the wall up enough to add the new studs and ensure that they are stable and that the metal studs won't buckle.

2) Put a large piece of thick plywood across multiple studs and anchor to that. This allows you to have different spacing on your studs vs your bracket. It also creates a more rigid platform.

I elected to do #2 -- since the plywood is significantly smaller than the TV you can't see it anyway.

Not sure how you'd get the plywood behind the wall -- you could remove the sheetrock and replace it with plywood, but you probably need thicker plywood than the standard 1/2" sheetrock, so it will stick out anyway.

  • I have access to the backside of the wall. It is only dry walled on one side, the other is inside of a utility room and has open studs. I don’t know how you put wood inside the metal stud when there are drywall screws in it. I was going to add a wood stud on the outside of the metal stud. Also your plywood installed on outside of the drywall is just screwed to the metal stud with toggle clamps? Then the bracket is installed into the plywood with normal supplied screws? – Mike Nov 14 '19 at 21:49
  • I used snap toggles to anchor the plywood to the metal studs (main important thing is to hit the metal studs in the center), I think I used snap toggles to anchor the bracket to the plywood, but mostly because I had a bunch of extra ones, and because my plywood was only about 1" thick -- wasn't sure that the wood lag screw would get enough bite. I also wanted the extra rigidity of going across 2 or 3 studs. – gbronner Nov 14 '19 at 22:54
  • thanks for the input! – Mike Nov 15 '19 at 4:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.