I have an outdoor light that isn't working. I've removed and tested it indoors. It works fine and the bulb is fine.
The wiring that comes from the house consists of two twin-and-earth cables. Power is on the same circuit as the indoor ceiling lights.
Please excuse my amateur diagram. The wiring into the lamp looks like this, with the two incoming cables at the top, lamp connections at the bottom:
| | | | | | | | | | | | X__| | |_____| | |__X | | | | | | ο ο ο L E N 💡
- The earths are entwined and wired into the lamp.
- The live input is taken from one cable, and neutral from the other.
- The other two wires (X) go nowhere, but may have come loose!
- I presume one cable goes to the switch, but I can't be sure.
Is this wiring correct? I inherited it when I moved into the house, but it did work once upon a time.
Is there anything incorrect/unsafe about this wiring that could have stopped the light working?
If the two loose wires have come apart, and assuming one cable goes to the switch. I am wondering if the following is correct. Below the loose ends (previously marked X) are connected so they complete the circuit via the switch (S).
(S) o o L E N | E | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | | +--X--+ | | | +----+----+ | | | | +---o ο o---+ L E N 💡