I am looking for a name of a product. It is thin decorative metal plates that are usually engraved and nailed to things like doors or other finish lumber. 100% decoration, no functional utility whatsoever. What are those called?

  • "Finish lumber" isn't really a thing, as lumber is simply wood boards or sheet goods. Maybe you mean "millwork". Could you post a photo? I don't consider the tags you describe to be decorative, so I'm not sure I understand correctly. – isherwood Nov 11 '19 at 19:22
  • Visible lumber, as opposed to structural like SPF 2x4 inside wall – amphibient Nov 11 '19 at 19:23
  • Are you asking about metal plates that are on the edges of walls ? These are nail plates to protect the wires from nails and or screws if the cables are less than 1-1/4” away required by the NEC code for many decades. – Ed Beal Nov 12 '19 at 1:37
  • It sounds like tin tiles (ceiling or backsplash). Or "pie safe tins" if you want something smaller. – Matthew Gauthier Nov 12 '19 at 12:34
  • No Ed, it's purely decorative. – amphibient Nov 12 '19 at 14:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.