My old (1940) house has a basement utility sink that has started to leak at the drain (shown in picture). Is there a way to replace the section that is rusted or do I have to rip the whole thing out and replace it? It looks like its a very different mechanism to modern utility sinks, it doesn't have a threaded base or a threaded drain strainer (just a hole). How do I go about fixing this?

Edit: From some googling, this is an old concrete tub and weighs and absolute ton.


There's not much you're going to be able to do with that. Your best bet will be to start removing the whole drain piece, clean up the concrete and then try to match the drain with something similar from a plumbing supple store. Good luck.

| improve this answer | |
  • I think the drain piece is cast into the cement. Would I just get the old drain out using a dremel? If so, how on earth would I add a new drain? – Seidleroni Nov 11 '19 at 13:24
  • Those flanges underneath look removable although totally rusted. A dremel with a cutoff wheel would do the trick. Wear eye protection and I'd also use one of those breathing masks. Once you clear that out, you can better judge what to do next. – JACK Nov 11 '19 at 13:34
  • One time I ground on some iron without a dust mask, and later unrelated, I cut myself pretty bad. I asked the doctor "why am I bleeding red?" Doctor said "it is the iron in your blood". Wore a dust mask after that! ;-) – Harper - Reinstate Monica Nov 11 '19 at 15:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.