So I've started renovating my 18' x 13' kitchen/dining area, and thanks to an old sagging ceiling that's getting ripped out, I have the opportunity to redo electric in not only that room but the adjacent living room. There are a total of five 20a circuits serving these two rooms currently broken down as follows:
- Outlets in kitchen area (including stove), all outlets in living room + exterior outlet in driveway
- Overhead lights in kitchen, dining area, living room, + porch light
- Refrigerator + outlets in dining area
- Dishwasher by itself
- Garbage disposal by itself
All appliances including garbage disposal were purchased in 2015 and are energy star rated. The living room has a new 55" HDTV, older sony stereo, and quite a bit of computer gear. All lights fixtures are LEDs and never pull more than 1a.
Seems like it would make a lot of sense to have the living room outlets on their own circuits, but not sure which one I should steal to do this.
- Is there a code reason that overhead lights must be on their own circuit?
- Does it make sense to have the GD and DW on their own circuits?
- What about the exterior porch light and driveway outlet?
Wiring is 12 awg. Located in California. My city just follows state building codes.