My wife and I bought a Maytag dryer it rained all the way home. I wiped it down, plugged it in and it smelled. So if I let it set for a few days will it be ok?

  • Did you turn it on? What did it smell like? – JACK Oct 31 '19 at 0:27
  • Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. Maybe it'll be fine, maybe it'll burn your house down; there's no way for us to know from here. And, you should probably take our tour so you'll know how best to participate here. – Daniel Griscom Oct 31 '19 at 1:04

You might try drying it with a small room heater. Or opening it up and gently drying the electrical control board with a towel and then with a hair dryer. As @DanielGriscom states, we can't look into your dryer to see how wet it is.

That said, my own experience is that, left unplugged and given time and warmth, most electrical equipment can survive even immersion in fresh water. For battery-powered devices, remove the battery immediately to prevent electrolytic corrosion, and dry as above.

| improve this answer | |
  • I would add though that most electrical equipment will survive, IF NOT ENERGIZED before drying out! By energizing it when wet, you may have unfortunately caused irreparable damage, especially to the electronics inside. At this point however it is what it is, so take that advice and dry it out with a hair dryer or something with forced air heat before even plugging it in again. – JRaef Oct 31 '19 at 21:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.