I am planning on putting beadboard wainscoting on a laundry room wall. I will need to add an extender to the dryer's 240v outlet to keep it to electrical code and have the outlet sit flush up against the extender. The beadboard will add 3/16" thickness to the wall.

I can't find a suitable product to use. I've used these in the past for 1-gang outlets, but there doesn't seem to be one for the bigger box. Which product should I use?

Here's a picture of the box, it is plastic and W: 3.75" H: 3.5":

enter image description here

  • 1
    Do you have a picture of the box in question? There are a few different boxes it could be.
    – JPhi1618
    Oct 22, 2019 at 18:20
  • Yes, can you post a photo of the box in question please? Oct 22, 2019 at 23:36
  • I've added a picture of the box now. It is plastic measuring around 3.75" wide and 3.5" tall.
    – Andrew
    Oct 23, 2019 at 14:31

1 Answer 1


Use an Arlington BE2

What you have appears to be a two gang plastic box, so you'll need a two gang plastic box extender such as the Arlington BE2 or equivalent (picture below is of a BE2, but for illustration only. These should be available at any supply house worth its chops, and can even be ordered from the orange borg if you can't get it any other way.

Arlington BE2

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.