Have a wood burning fireplace and the chimney has an air intake vent. The vent has seen better days but not sure what to ask for at the local stores. See photo

[ update ]
After getting up in the attic to see where this vent connects to, it does in fact seem to be a fresh air intake for the woodburning fireplace.

enter image description here

  • Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. Any idea what this vent is for, or where it connects? And, you should probably take our tour so you'll know how best to participate here. – Daniel Griscom Oct 21 '19 at 16:58

That's an outside air intake. It's purpose is to allow air in but keep critters and debris from entering. They make these specifically for this purpose but a common use is to take a DRYER vent that has a screen, remove the flapper (which would prevent air from entering) and use that as the intake.

You should find either at your local home supply store.

| improve this answer | |
  • Yep. It's probably a 4" duct. – isherwood Oct 21 '19 at 17:13
  • But dryer vents usually don't have screens. They'd clog up almost immediately. – isherwood Oct 21 '19 at 17:16
  • I guess you haven't looked at dryer vents lately. Most have screens to prevent critters from getting in. – jwh20 Oct 21 '19 at 17:50
  • Its not the dryer, as that is on the other side of the house. – bitshift Oct 21 '19 at 18:08

This might work out good:


It is stainless steel and has a screen. I used one for kitchen range exhaust.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.