The rusty cast iron drain cleanout in my basement is cracked and I can't seem to find a matching piece at Lowes/Home Depot. The cover is about 5" wide. What would be the best thing I can use to seal this off?

Cracked Drain Cleanout

  • 1
    A builders merchant? – Solar Mike Oct 21 '19 at 3:52
  • Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. Unfortunately, "shopping" questions are off-topic here. Please take our tour so you'll know how best to participate here. – Daniel Griscom Oct 21 '19 at 10:19
  • Doesn't seem like a shopping question. OP has done due diligence and found that something will probably need to be retrofit. I agree. – isherwood Oct 21 '19 at 16:30

I think I'd use a 1/4" aluminum or 1/8" galvanized steel plate with a layer of rubber or neoprene underneath. This way it's easily reusable.

Just drill holes for the studs and use new galvanized nuts and suitable washers.

| improve this answer | |

Get an Abs or PVC (better) Cap of a pipe bigger than your 5 inches to drill two holes through and use high-quality silicone to create a seal on the old metal. Clean the old metal surface with a wire brush (Dremel). Get new washers and nuts and you are in business.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.