We have a Whirlpool Side by Side refrigerator (GS6SHAXML00) that is about 15 years old and was working fine before a long-distance move. When we got to the new house and plugged it in, it seemed to work fine -- it came on, both the refrigerator and freezer got to the appropriate temperature, and it cycled off. The problem is that it never came back on again. If we unplug it and plug it back in, it goes through the same cycle. It would be usable if we wanted to unplug it after every time it shuts off... (not). Can anyone tell me if there might be an easy fix for this or should we just get a new one (after the move, not a lot in the budget for that)? Thank you in advance for any help!
A few things to check:
- Does the outlet always have power? If connected to a light switch, that could be a problem.
- Is the refrigerator level?
- Does it have an ice-maker or water cooler, that could be causing an issue (e.g. overflowing and/or freezing)?
- Are there separate temperature controls for freezer and refrigerator that need to be set?
- Is there airflow around the condenser coils?