I've got a lot of rust coming out when I run the shower or fill the tub.

I've taken the valve apart as far as I feel comfortable taking it. Can someone help identify what type of valve this is? (See photo)shower valve

It's a diverter type for tub/shower.

  • Hello, and welcome to Home Improvement. Would you add a picture of the knob? And, you should probably take our tour so you'll know how best to participate here. Oct 7, 2019 at 19:53
  • the valve looks in pretty good shape. I doubt the valve is the source of your problem. Have you done any repiping or other plumbing work? Is the rust showing up in any other areas of the house?
    – JACK
    Oct 7, 2019 at 22:10
  • 1
    The valve is brass, it is not going to have anything to do with rust. Rust only comes from iron / steel. If you have galvanized steel pipes, you are going to have rust.
    – JRaef
    Oct 7, 2019 at 22:32
  • When I turn the tap on, rusty water comes out, it's so dark it looks like orange juice! I don't think the rust comes from the fixture itself, just that iron filings or debris have become stuck in the valve. They did some water main work on my street and I had to clear all the aerators in the house. I haven't been able to dissemble this fixture yet. I'm not sure if I need to replace the cartridge, or just to disassemble it and flush the debris out.
    – Daniel
    Oct 7, 2019 at 23:27


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.