enter image description here

I mounted my 60” inch tv over my fireplace and a bulge has appeared on both sides in the last few days. I’ve done some searches and it sounds like this is a “nail or screw pop”. My question is this something I need to be concerned about? Can the tv come down because of this or rip the tv and mount off the wall? I used a stud finder and there’s 4 2 3/4 lag bolts into the studs but I just want to make sure the tv is safe. The tv covers the bulge/bubble so if the integrity of the mount is fine I don’t care. Any information or advice is greatly appreciated!! enter image description here


You do not need to be concerned, assuming that your lag screw is anchored into the framing.

That's a result of a pre-existing gap behind the drywall. Maybe some insulation or a wrinkle in the vapor barrier held it out during initial hanging, and your lag screw pulled it in tight. Because there was a drywall screw there holding it out the surface bulged as the rest pulled in. There are no apparent structural concerns.

If you ever remove the tv, you'll want to put a pair of drywall screws above and below the bulge before removing the lag screw. Then remove the tv mount, cut away the bulged drywall and repair.

  • 1
    Thank you very much for responding, When you say anchored into the framing what do you mean exactly? I screwed the lags into the studs, does that mean anchored? – Ryan Mc Oct 3 '19 at 16:25
  • 1
    Anchored into framing = Anchored into studs. Same thing different words. – Platinum Goose Oct 3 '19 at 17:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.