bottom view what is the name of this nut, I need to find a way to loosen it .

From the top

Side view


It's a spanner nut. There's a special wrench to loosen and tighten it but putting a slotted screwdriver in the groove and tapping it with a hammer usually works. it's a double nut so loosen one first, then the other.

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Thank you. , I thought it was a more complicated but .. not sure why I thought that. – Charm_quark Sep 28 '19 at 21:26
  • 4
    You can a find spanner wrenches of all sizes in a bicycle shop in the tool area. A pair of vise grips may work also but you may to use something to hold the top one while you loosen the bottom on. – Alaska Man Sep 28 '19 at 21:50
  • 9
    That's got to be the US term for it. In the UK all nuts are 'spanner nuts', because a spanner is what we call a wrench ;-) – Tetsujin Sep 29 '19 at 13:25
  • @Tetsujin In the UK, spanners are called spanners, and adjustable ones are called adjustable spanners... Spanner may be also used to refer to someone but that is not polite... Wrench is more American... And given I spent my apprenticeship in the UK “on the tools” I know a spanner when I see one. – Solar Mike Sep 29 '19 at 18:07
  • 1
    @SolarMike I do know one US supplier that calls a tube spanner a "spanner wrench". It always seems like whoever named it is a bit of a spanner spanner – Chris H Sep 30 '19 at 9:59

I find using the correct “c” spanner, in fact I would use two together to undo that as it means no hammering to possibly damage bearings etc.

This method of using two nuts is used to set a limit or stop position - if only one nut was used it could easily move. A "nyloc" nut may also move but the two nuts locked together do not move. Some nuts can have a set-screw inserted to prevent movement but that is less secure than the two nuts...

Called a c spanner because it looks like a c but has a tooth at the end to engage in the slot on the nut.

two examples:

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    Thank you, I have honestly never seen anything like that before, The nut is for a machine from china. So it just baffled me. – Charm_quark Sep 29 '19 at 18:45
  • Also called a hook spanner – Chris H Sep 30 '19 at 9:58
  • @Charm_quark Depending on the kind of machinery, they are (or used to be) somewhat common. Not just in China, so don't be surprised if you see them again. – Mast Sep 30 '19 at 14:13
  • @mast : Is there any advantage over the standard nut? – Charm_quark Oct 2 '19 at 5:37
  • 1
    @Charm_quark see edit, but it provides a stop position which cannot move unless left loose. – Solar Mike Oct 2 '19 at 5:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.