I moved into a flat which has the following electrical setup in the kitchen:
- Regular looking 4-socket power strip
- Combi boiler plugged into power strip
- Washing machine plugged into power strip
As the third photo shows, the 4-socket strip does not have a typical UK 3-pin plug, instead it is wired straight into this grey fuse box on the kitchen wall behind a cupboard. This grey fuse box is controlled by the circuit breaker switch that controls all kitchen sockets.
A fishy smell from this corner of the kitchen makes me think something electrical may be over-heating.
- Is it typical to find power strips of this kind directly wired into the mains?
- Is a boiler and washing machine too heavy a load for the power strip?
- Is there a better/safer way to wire this whole setup?