Our condo is located in a forest/mountain area and we have suffered some rodent issues lately. We have two stories, and bedrooms are located downstairs. As I sleep at night, I often hear sound of rodents running around and scratching wood floor upstairs. The other day I think I found the gap where rodents can get into our condo. As shown in the picture, there are gaps between carpet and dry wall along the stairs, and gaps look pretty big for rodents to get in (but I am still not sure if this is the case).

If this seems like where the rodent can get into our condo, what would be a fix here? How can I block or seal this gap completely?


enter image description here

enter image description here

2 Answers 2


When the management company sent a pest control specialist out to our apartment to deal with mice, he stuffed coarse steel wool or wire mesh into any little crevasses like that he could find. He claimed the mice couldn't chew through it, didn't like the feel of it. Not a great permanent solution, but maybe a good first try?

  • 1
    If it's a farm fix, it's probably a good one! Commented Sep 13, 2019 at 19:35

Great Stuff makes a foam specifically for pest control. It's easy to apply and expands to fill cracks and voids. It's available at all home stores.

Here's a picture so you know what to look for. enter image description here

  • I'll add that you have to be careful with Great Stuff - read the warning labels. It has a good reputation for doing what it says, but all the hazardous chemical warnings have left me uncomfortable using it inside an inhabited space. Commented Sep 19, 2019 at 15:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.