I've never worked with concrete. Is there an easy way for a concrete newbie to repair this wall?

  • OR-

How do I fix it?


Here is another view, further back.

enter image description here

=================== Found these in a store ===============================

Will any of these products work for my issue? product1 product2

  • 4
    Can you add another pic from another angle? I can’t quite tell what I’m looking at. Also, what is the scope of the problem...just a chip or something much larger?
    – Lee Sam
    Sep 10, 2019 at 19:24
  • @Lee Sam I've added another picture. It is a concrete garage floor. Inside is fine. It is chipping and ugly at the driveways edge.
    – Marinaio
    Sep 11, 2019 at 14:55
  • So you're asking about surface repair, as opposed to cracking or settling?
    – isherwood
    Sep 11, 2019 at 14:59
  • @isherwood Yes. There are cracks and holes in the concrete. Is it as simple (DIY) as buying some pre-mix and a trowel? Or more complicated that I need a mason?
    – Marinaio
    Sep 11, 2019 at 15:25

2 Answers 2


Vinyl cement patch is what you're probably after. It's designed to bond well and handle impacts and movement in thin applications much better than concrete or mortar. It can be feathered to a thin edge.

Mix per the instructions on the package and apply with a wide putty knife or trowel.

Be aware that you won't have good results spanning from one concrete object to another. There's almost certainly seasonal movement between the two that will tear the patch apart. Use a control joint where necessary.

  • 1
    Can you elaborate on "Use a control joint"
    – Marinaio
    Sep 11, 2019 at 18:18
  • Are any of the products I posted what you were thinking of in your reply?
    – Marinaio
    Sep 17, 2019 at 13:26
  • Product recommendations are off-topic on this network. Read the labels and decide for yourself. Obviously some of those match what I suggested.
    – isherwood
    Sep 18, 2019 at 13:27
  • I was only asking if those products fit the "Vinyl cement patch is what you're probably after" recommendation given.
    – Marinaio
    Sep 18, 2019 at 13:38

Note that the quickrete product is a powder you must mix with water, not pre-mixed. Either product would be appropriate for patching those chipped areas, but in truth this is probably the most mild concrete damage I've ever seen anyone want to correct.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.