I want cool a small room with something that uses less than 2kwh per night with more cooling effect than a simple fan. The room is on second ground with 2 windows and one door and is about 15m2. I have access to ice. The room is in the Caribbean. Thank you in advance for your help
- Open a window on the ground floor.
- Open both windows in the bedroom on the 2nd floor.
- Have a fan blow hot air out one 2nd floor window. This will have the effect of getting rid of hot air (which rises to the 2nd floor), and bringing up cool air from the ground floor.
Alternate 1: Check out these Youtube videos about using ice and a fan to blow cool air around you. There are many designs here.
- Larger chunks of ice will last longer, like a 12" cube.
- But you will likely run out of 1" ice cubes in 2-4 hours so somehow you may want to refill those.
Alternate 2: Put a cool, damp washcloth on your head, chest, or inside of elbows (there are a lot of veins close to the surface there), have a fan blow on you. This helps cool you down via evaporation, but again, the water will need to be refreshed about every 2 hours. I've done this before when my AC broke.
Alternate 3: Have a rubber bag of ice, put on your head, inside of elbows, or on your chest. Have a cooler next to the bed for 1-2 spare rubber bags filled with ice.
Alternate 4: Have a mister bottle with plain water next to your bed. Spray your self slightly with water and have a fan blow on you to cool you through evaporation. Remist yourself as needed. Do not mist yourself so much that the water drips.
Source: I live in Michigan, it gets hot and humid in the summers. I've tried most of these.
I didn't use a simple fan but I bought a Vornado 660, it's a room circulator that can push air 100 feet. I've dropped the temp by a few degrees but it's not cheap.