enter image description here

I have a leaky shower faucet and was going to check the washer. What am I looking at here in the picture? Can't seem to get this cover off, it appears to be the actual control for the water flow and not the plastic cover, as seen on the other handles. Any help would be appreciated.

1 Answer 1


That is the chrome inner sleeve from a knob that is now missing its external finned plastic portion.

If it is not pulling off easily (they pull directly off, just like a knob should...) then you may need to use a faucet handle puller to remove it.

Of course there are tricks-of-the-trade, like using penetrating oil and spraying up where the valve-stem splines meet the (probably corroded) sleeve spline and tapping (gently) around the outer part to get it to break away...

  • Gotta love the tricks of the trade... you can probably get a replacement handle from a plumbing supply company.
    – JACK
    Sep 9, 2019 at 12:13
  • What is the use of three knobs? I've only ever seen one, for combined hot+cold, or two, for separate hot/cold. What is the third one for? Sep 9, 2019 at 14:48
  • @John Gordon Hot, cold and shower down spout/shower head.
    – JACK
    Sep 9, 2019 at 18:33
  • @JACK Ah, I'm used to that being a small diverter. Sep 9, 2019 at 19:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.