I did an elim course taking city and guilds for the 16th edition electrical installation and maintenance. Can I still do work in people's houses without having to give certificates the types of work?

I want to add or move sockets, lighting and install new consumer units. Can I do this without having to get a permit as well?

  • 1
    You'd want to tell us where you are. What's an "elim course"? – isherwood Sep 6 '19 at 19:56
  • 3
    @isherwood 16th edition is the UK... 17th is actually the current version - 16th was blue, 17th is red/pinkish... They are actually the Wiring Regulations and a British Standard - first published back in 1887 or 1888 iirc – Solar Mike Sep 6 '19 at 19:58
  1. You can do work in people's houses, but you must certify your work to the current (Eighteenth) Edition of the Wiring Regulations. This is a legal requirement under part P of the Building Regulations in England. (Wales and Scotland have similar provisions.) The Wiring Regulations require either a Minor Works Certificate, or a Design Installation and Test Certificate for all wiring work.

  2. If you carry out notifiable work such as installing new circuits, working in a kitchen, or installing a new consumer unit, in a dwelling then you must either notify the work to Building Control or be a member of a self-certification scheme such as NICEIC, NAPIT etc.

If you notify the work to Building Control they may require the certificates to be completed by a person with a current qualification. If you wish to apply to be a member of a self-certification scheme they will require you to have current qualifications or to be supervised by a qualified supervisor.

Small jobs which are non-notificable must still be certificated by you to the current Regulations and the certificate supplied to the customer. Forms of certificates are prescribed by the regulations and samples are available from IET.

The above applies to dwellings (including outbuildings and gardens). If you are working in non-domestic buildings then the notification requirement does not apply, but the Electricity at Work Regulations do (they would apply to you as a worker, and to your client as a business) and they would require a person to be competent. Evidence of competence is your qualification. For some work a 16th Edition qualification may remain satisfactory evidence of competence, for others it will not. For example, the Eighteenth Edition requires consideration of surge protection in designing an installation, and requirements for RCDs to all sockets and all concealed wiring even in permitted zones has changed since 16th Edition expired in 2004.

  • Have to vote this up as it is the only answer which is referring to the relevant regulations... – Solar Mike Sep 8 '19 at 10:57

This is going to depend on municipality in the US. But the short answer is no. Unless you are a certified electrician you usually cannot work on other people's stuff.

I have passed quite a few local electrical exams to work on my own houses but it is clear in every city I have taken one that this does not give me the right to do work for other people. And in almost all cases there were limits to the work I was doing - most had a 3 circuit install max.

So you need to ask...

Now changing outlets and doing lighting, you can do these as a handiman but not as an electrician where you would be able to get a permit signed-off.

  • 2
    This is not the US and "municipality" is not relevant - the regulations in the UK are country-wide and the only body that can make changes are the Institute of electrical Engineers - which is why there are 17 editions (each of which have had updates over time). – Solar Mike Sep 6 '19 at 20:02
  • 2
    Well, the OP failed to state where they were, so let's not jump on people for trying to help... – JRaef Sep 6 '19 at 20:48
  • 1
    Got to upvote the op did not say where they where and @dmore did state that “in the U.S. , others agree should to help reverse the - as I have, 16 regulations sounds like some one that doesn’t know anything at all about electrical work but IS referring to the 17 code,, OOPS The 2017 national electric code the most adopted code on this planet! Or something similar that was adopted in 16. – Ed Beal Sep 7 '19 at 3:59
  • @J.Raefield I made the comment to Isherwood before the answer was visible - may have been a server timing issue though. – Solar Mike Sep 7 '19 at 4:24
  • 1
    I had to upvote. We're here to try and help. – JACK Sep 7 '19 at 13:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.