My condo has a concrete slab. We put down engineered wood flooring. There has been some flooding in neighboring condos, which has damaged the flooring. Does anyone have a suggestion for flooring that would resist the water damage? Would ceramic tile work ? There are cracks in the slab that we have repaired. the building was built in 1950.

  • vinyl tile is an option. how much flooding/water damage are we talking? – depperm Sep 5 '19 at 16:30
  • Some photos would be helpful, in my experience all concrete cracks with time. I have tiled shopping malls in my early years that had cracks the tile held up fine for many years. Haven’t been back there in 20 but it was still almost that many years, they probably have remodeled since then. – Ed Beal Sep 7 '19 at 4:34

You may want to look into floating tile floors. These are tiles with a rubber or foam backing and snap together like puzzle pieces, instead of being secured to the subfloor with grout. You still need to grout the tiles, but these are made for DIY installation, instead of professional installers. It's more expensive to buy and have other issues, but if you have another crack in the concrete, it won't destroy the tile. Also, if you do find out about a crack you need to fix or have to clean up after a flood, these will be easier to remove and should even be able to be reinstalled.

For more info:


If you are concerned about future floods it could be an idea to look into decking floor tiles. As its generally used for outdoor purposes it should handle a flood without issue.

Another benefit would be that it will leave some air gaps letting the concrete breathe, trapped moisture after a flood can create some real issues.

This is the type of tiles i'm referring to: https://www.amazon.co.uk/FAMOUS-Click-Deck-HARDWOOD-Decking-Tiles/dp/B00OA47LOA/ref=sr_1_5?keywords=hardwood+decking+tiles&qid=1571152770&sr=8-5

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.