I found this thing in my hotel bathroom, above the sink; looks like an air gap of some sort, but for what purpose?

Also, if I were to make an air gap with "discrete" components at least I'd make the top pipe go a bit lower into the "cone", to avoid risking throwing too much water around. Why is it made like this?

the thing in the hotel bathroom

  • 2
    If the drain pipe extended into the cone it wouldn't be an air gap, which requires that under no condition will the outlet be underwater. – isherwood Aug 29 '19 at 17:20
  • 1
    My guess is that it's a condensate line from mechanical equipment, or maybe a drain for a ice maker. – isherwood Aug 29 '19 at 17:21
  • Aaah right, so this explains why it's made like that. – Matteo Italia Aug 29 '19 at 17:22
  • 2
    This is not a home improvement question. – Alaska Man Aug 29 '19 at 18:02
  • @AlaskaMan ... interesting though it is, I agree. – Daniel Griscom Aug 29 '19 at 19:25

At least they used chrome, if the tube went into the drain there could be reverse migration if the drain was slow the separation is a requirement for food processing chillers to prevent back flow. This is probably a safety for a boiler or the piping.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.