I have open space above cabinets and wife does not want a chimney on our range hood.

SO I am looking for an elbow that will take the 8" round vertical exhaust and go 90 degrees into a 10x3.25" (we have ~4" of molding above cabinets) enter image description here

I found this online, but it's not quite the right size. Anyone know if there is a proper term for this I can search, or if I could get one to meet my specs?

enter image description here


I would take a piece of 10x3.25 duct, cap off one end and cut an 8" hole in one side and add a flange to connect the 8" duct to. These should be common parts that are easier to source than some exactly sized elbow that still might need modification.

  • thank you! I guess without adding any additional height any elbow I find would essentially have the same airflow restriction/back-pressure from this sudden change .
    – Eddie
    Aug 22 '19 at 15:47
  • You may be able to put some curved baffle inside this home-made option to help direct the airflow. You can always put some more time into it - I just listed the basic idea.
    – JPhi1618
    Aug 22 '19 at 15:49
  • 2
    Note that 10x3.25 has a cross section of about 32. 8" round is more like 50 - so you will have a lot more restriction. Aug 23 '19 at 14:31
  • Thanks @MartinBonner! The hood itself uses a 10x3.25 if venting horizontally, the 8" vertical is I think larger to allow the optional 2nd blower that we're not purchasing. So hopefully the flow will be sufficient
    – Eddie
    Aug 23 '19 at 14:59

Go to any HVAC shop or duct fabricator, explain what you want and they may be able to make it to your specs.

  • Ah great point. Some family friends have a local HVAC business here, but I never thought to ask them.
    – Eddie
    Aug 23 '19 at 14:57
  • I was just at Home Depot yesterday and saw a 6" straight X 3 1/4" adapter near the appliance parts, if that will help.
    – d.george
    Aug 24 '19 at 10:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.