I got this picture from another post and since I am new to this community I dont know much on how i can ask questions to existing posts or comments also it did not allow me to do so. Below is a picture which closely resembles to what I have. The distance between laminate and tile is 7/8th of an inch. So ideally I was looking for a T molding where one side is thicker(lets say something greater than 5/16" on one side and 5/16" on the other) and one side is thinner to cover up the height difference but I havent found something like this in Lowe's /Home Depot/Floor and decor. If anyone knows where I can found something as described please tell me ?

enter image description here

For using reducer of this kind If I can get something like below that would help too: enter image description here

Final question: Do you think the space left (7/8th inch) between laminate and tile is very small and if I make that wider then I would have more options on the reducer ?

  • build up the bare floor channel in the middle to the height of the tile (using shims, spare tile pieces, strips of underlayment, etc), then use the bottom trim.
    – dandavis
    Aug 21, 2019 at 16:40
  • Have a wood shop make a T with a thicker section one side to fit, they can rout a channel each side to different heights.
    – Solar Mike
    Aug 21, 2019 at 16:59
  • Just FYI - what you've done here is 'correct' as far as the Stack Exchange model goes - you have a new question, so you asked a new question. This is not a 'forum' type of site where you just tag onto the end of someone else's post.
    – brhans
    Aug 21, 2019 at 16:59
  • I have to go with Mike on this. That is an awful big height difference to make up using standard transition pieces. Also most transition pieces are 2" wide, you would need a wider one for a smoother transition.
    – JACK
    Aug 21, 2019 at 17:04
  • Hey @dandavis thats a nice suggestion on building up the floor channel in the middle but after I do that what shops sell such trims ? I checked home depot/lowes/floor and decor and could not find such trims. Thats the main problem for me.
    – Heyya
    Aug 21, 2019 at 17:23

1 Answer 1


I've had that exact situation, and found that the only type of transition strips that allow for this kind of height difference are ones meant for carpets. They tend to be metal, but wood ones can also be found. Below is an example. You would still need to build up the gap in between a little in order to have some support underneath and have something for the nails to go into.

enter image description here

  • Thanks for the picture, where did you find this ?
    – Heyya
    Aug 23, 2019 at 16:22
  • Are you in the US? I've bought mine at Menards, the picture I think showed up on the Home Depot site. Search for "Carpet Tranisition Strip". Aug 23, 2019 at 16:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.