There is an outdoor light owned by HOA, located outside of the door of my apartment unit. And I'd like to install a security camera near the light. There is no outlet there, and How can I extend an outlet from the existing light?

Thanks for any suggestion!

  • 3
    Do you have the right or permission to interfere with their light? – Solar Mike Aug 19 '19 at 6:13
  • 4
    Agreed, you can’t usually add an electrical outlet to somebody else’s electrical service without permission (who pays the bill for what’s plugged into it?) – whiskeychief Aug 19 '19 at 11:05
  • 1
    Also I haven't seen any security camera that require 120V power. Isn't it usually low voltage and powered from a remote source? – Retired Master Electrician Aug 19 '19 at 15:52
  • 2
    just use a socket extender with outlets, then a dc power brick; no modification needed; just unscrew and put back in the bulb when you move. – dandavis Aug 19 '19 at 16:14
  • i chatted with HOA, they are actually fine with a socket extender! haha thanks guys – Dude from SF Aug 23 '19 at 18:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.