enter image description here

I have an ABS p trap that doesn't seem to have any union nuts. Where my finger is pointing is the tail piece nut that I can loosen (and probably remove), but the rest of the p trap doesn't seem to have any removable parts (its a slow draining sink so I want to remove it, check for clogs, and snake it from lower).

House built in 1958 (idk if this is original plumbing). I don't see how the ABS is connected to the PVC drain and I don't see how to remove it besides cutting it off (and then be stuck with whatever pipe I believe is inside/between the pvc and abs). Is cutting the only way to remove this? Should I get a plumber to fix this?

  • Have you removed The expanding foam so we can see if we t can be unscrewed or has to be cut. Be careful you don’t want to cut a galvanized went going to the roof without support or it can possibly move down making repair very difficult
    – Ed Beal
    Aug 17, 2019 at 5:36
  • I have removed the foam, I'll try to add an image later today
    – depperm
    Aug 19, 2019 at 10:57

1 Answer 1


Cutting is the only way to get it off, I doubt that it was original most homes that age were galvanized & cast iron. The supply looks to be galvanized is the reason I would think it’s not original. They didn’t leave any good place to cut it from what I see. You will probably need to remove the expanding foam hopefully there will be a hub or something you can work with to make the new p trap. It may be possible to unscrew from the main pipe but we won’t know until the foam is removed.

  • Yes, remove the foam.
    – JACK
    Aug 15, 2019 at 16:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.