I recently purchased a prewired 30a rv subpanel to plug in a travel trailer while sitting at home. The subpanel is complete with a 30a breaker and receptacle. Is it acceptable to run the romex (10-2) to a new 50a breaker in the main panel having the 50a feed the 30a breaker?

  • If you're going to go to the trouble of installing an RV power post, I highly recommend just using 6/4 and putting in a panel with both 50A service (14-50 receptacle) and 30A (TT-30) service. The parts/wire cost is really not that big of a deal compared to the cost (in either dollars or time) of the installation labor. You'll need a 50A two-pole breaker in the main panel to feed the 6/4 and then the RV subpanel will likely have a 50A two-pole for the 14-50, a 30A single pole for the TT-30, and a 20A single pole for a 5-20 duplex.
    – Josh
    Apr 22, 2021 at 12:20

2 Answers 2


No, you can't do that. The 10-2 romex has a 30 to 35 amp maximum depending on the insulation. The breaker in the main panel's job is to protect the 10-2 so it has to be a 30 AMP breaker, not the 50 AMP.

If this is going to be a permanent type installation you need to think about running your cable in such a way that it's not a safety hazard or a code violation. You can't have it lying on the ground running from you panel to the trailer.... maybe conduit from the panel to the outside wall and have a receptacle.... then a plug from you subpanel.

  • If I'm understanding this correctly, I can use a 30a breaker in the main panel to feed another 30a breaker in the rv subpanel? I can also go to an 8-2 romex if needed.
    – Gordon
    Aug 12, 2019 at 18:39
  • Yes, two 30's are ok. The 8-2 is good for 40 to 50 AMPS depending on the insulation. You don't need the extra capacity and the larger wire size would cost more than getting a 30 AMP breaker.
    – JACK
    Aug 12, 2019 at 19:06

If you want to wire in 50A for a future, larger RV, then you need to run the cabling with 6/3 UF cable (not NM/Romex, you cannot use Romex because you will be going outdoors).

If you were to do that with e 6/3 cable, with the panel you have bought, that would be fine.

However, it's a common case for someone to buy the wrong thing and then go into backflips doing even more wrong things trying to make the wrong thing work. Don't bother; get the right thing. If you are mail ordering this stuff, thats a mistake - local electricians must shop somewhere; shop there.

They make RV panels which have all the breakers and sockets necessary to support all of

  • a 240V, 50A large RV (with NEMA 14-50 receptacle)
  • a 120V, 30A small RV (with TT30 receptacle)
  • typically a 120V/20A plain old outlet for hand tools etc.

This works off a 50A breaker because it is presumed you will only be powering one RV at a time. But you still need 6/3 outdoor cable; 10/3 won't do.

  • There are exactly two types of RV plugs in North America, and neither of them are a NEMA 10-anything. The 30A service (120V) RV plug is a TT-30 (line, neutral, ground), and the 50A service (120/240 split phase) RV plug is a 14-50 (line 1, line 2, neutral, ground). 30A on 120/240V is non-standard and will not be found in any modern RV park, and perhaps not in any RV park period. As a side note, the NEMA 10- receptacles are line 1, line 2, neutral and do not have a ground conductor. They are deprecated and cannot and should not be used in any new installations.
    – Josh
    Apr 22, 2021 at 0:45
  • 2
    Thanks @Josh. The 10-50 was a typo. I thought I had seen a 14-30 on an RV stand but I was mistaken. Apr 22, 2021 at 5:35
  • Some temporary power outlets provide other types of receptacles, but that's mostly for jobsite use and such Apr 22, 2021 at 11:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.